How to apply for NSFAS funding 2023
Are you in need of financial assistance to study at a tertiary institution? Apply for a National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) bursary.
NSFAS is a bursary scheme funded by the Department of Higher Education and Training for those who do not have the financial means to fund their studies and cannot access bank funding, study loans, or bursaries.
What is NSFAS?
NSFAS is a government entity under the Department of Higher Education and Training established according to the NSFAS Act (Act 56 of 1999) to provide financial support to disadvantaged students who wish to further their studies at public universities or TVET colleges.
What does the NSFAS funding bursary cover?
As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance R15, 000 per annum
- Book allowances R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance of R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
- Accommodation in an urban area is R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in a peri-urban area is R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in a rural area is R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7,350 per annum
- Transport R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualify for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- A person with a disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 and whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
How to apply for NSFAS funding?
- Go to the NSFAS website – nsfas.org.za
- Click on the ‘myNSFAS’ tab on the menu.
- Create a myNSFAS account.
- Click on the ‘APPLY’ tab and complete the sections on the screen.
- Upload required supporting documents where applicable.
- Click on ‘Submit’
How to track your NSFAS application
- Visit the NSFAS website– nsfas.org.za
- Click on the “myNSFAS” tab on the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Log in to your myNSFAS account using your username and password.
- Once logged in, click the “track funding progress” option.
- Your application status will be displayed on the screen, indicating whether your application has been approved or not.