Your turn to be a 3M ‘SELFIE’ hero by donating blood
June is Blood Donor Month and 3M with the South African National Blood Services (SANBS), are encouraging everyone to donate blood. To honour this incredible service, 3M is donating 70 000 specially designed plasters in support of this challenge.
3M and SANBS challenge you to donate blood this June and win. All you have to do is take a ‘selfie’ of your arm after donating blood showing a specially designed 3M plaster. Use the image to nominate your friends, family and colleaguesto also donate blood and be a 3M ‘selfie’ hero via Facebook and Twitter with #GiveBloodSelfie and win weekly hampers.
Safe blood saves lives. Every time you donate blood, you can help up to 3 or 4 individual recipients. Every day thousands of people would die if others did not donate their blood. By donating blood, you are giving someone something money cannot buy and science cannot create. Most of the components of blood used for transfusions have a short shelf life and maintaining a constant supply is a persistent problem.
Thabo Ngema, Jnr. Product Specialistcommented “3M is committed to actively contributing to sustainable development through environmental protection, social responsibility and economic progress.” Ngema added“each person usually donates, if everything is in order, about 480 ml of blood, we are hoping to collect 33.6 million ml of blood through this campaign.”
You don’t need a special reason to give blood.You just need your own reason. If you can’t think of a good one here are some reasons other people have come up with:
- Some give blood because they are supporting a friend
- Some know that a family member or a friend might need blood someday
- Some believe it is the right thing we do
- You’ll feel good knowing you’ve helped change a life
- Regular blood donations help to keep the levels of iron in the body in check, especially in males. This has shown to reduce heart disease
- One time blood donation helps you shed 650 Kcal
- High levels of iron have been implicated in certain cancers. Theoretically, donating blood frequently will reduce the risk of cancer.
To make a difference and be part of this campaign please like our Facebook page NexCare South Africa and follow us on Twitter @nexcaresouthafrica and don’t forget to#GiveBloodSelfie with a @thesabns mention to win weekly prizes.